Softball Begins Home Schedule Against Eastern Illinois in First OVC Game Since 2019
By Matteo Vallejo, Morehead State Athletic Media Relations
MOREHEAD, Ky. – It has been over 670 days since MSU Softball has last competed in an OVC game, but with a 2 pm ET bout scheduled against Eastern Illinois tomorrow, the wait is finally over. The Eagles’ last conference contest came on May 5, 2019, when Morehead State defeated Tennessee State in the second game of a doubleheader that marked the season finale for both clubs.
MSU heads into this series with limited experience in conference games as only four current roster members have played against an OVC opponent. Morehead State is coming off a weekend in Louisville where the Eagles claimed victories in two of the three games.
Until recently, the opposing Panthers had a very busy schedule, having had only one day in an eight-day period in which they did not compete. Eastern Illinois was led in those games by the most recent OVC Player of the Week honoree, redshirt sophomore Hannah Cravens.
INSIDE THE SERIES
2021 Records: Morehead State (4-3/0-0 OVC) | Eastern Illinois (7-4/0-0 OVC)
Series History: Eastern Illinois leads 41-24
Last Five Meetings: April 13, 2019 (EIU 12, MOR 6) | April 13, 2019 (EIU 9, MOR 1 [6 inn.]) | May 4, 2018 (EIU 3, MOR 2) | May 4, 2018 (EIU 2, MOR 0) | April 4, 2017 (EIU 6, MOR 5)
• Morehead State currently has an all-time record of 24-41 against OVC rival Eastern Illinois. The two squads most recently saw the Panthers defeat the Eagles 12-6 on April 13, 2019.
• Senior Alexis Strother currently leads the OVC in batting average, hitting .522 on the season. She also ranks in the top five in the conference in hits (T-3rd, 12), RBI (T-3rd, nine), slugging percentage (T-4th, .696), and on-base percentage (2nd, .607).
• At her current pace, Strother would break MSU’s single-season record for total RBI, slugging percentage.
• The Eagles are dangerous on the base paths, ranking first in the OVC and fourth in the country in stolen bases per game (2.71).
• Sophomore Kirya Kingery is the catalyst for the speedy Eagles as she leads the OVC with nine stolen bases and ranks third in the country in stolen bases per game (1.29) to start the year.
• MSU ranks in the top 50 in the country in scoring with 5.71 runs per game.
• Morehead State has seen excellent work behind the plate as the Eagles (along with Austin Peay) currently lead the OVC in opposing runners caught stealing.
• Although not appearing in any games last weekend, sophomore Kelsey Perkins sits at sixth in the conference with a 1.75 ERA.
• Freshman Lennon Spicer is co-leading the OVC in total wins with three on the year. She also has a 2.56 ERA, good enough for 15th-best in the OVC and third-best among freshmen.
• After being hit for the 17th time in her career last weekend, junior Peyton Slater is now tied for seventh in MSU softball history in times hit by a pitch.
• During its 10-4 victory over Bellarmine on Feb. 26, Morehead State tied its program record with 11 walks in the game. The Eagles previously set the mark against North Carolina A&T on Feb. 15, 2020.
• Junior Peyton Rose ranks third in the OVC in on-base percentage after going 4-for-8 with four runs, two doubles, and two RBI last weekend.